Making a Business Case for Infection Prevention
- ACSQHC Australian National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards, September 2011 - Standard 3: Preventing and Controlling Healthcare Associated Infections
- Standards NZ NZS 8134.3:2008 Health and Disability Services (Infection Control) Standard
Costs of HAI
- Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol Modeling the costs of hospital-acquired infections in New Zealand, Graves N et al, 2003 Mar;24(3):214-23.
- PLoS Mortality and Hospital Stay Associated with Resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli Bacteremia: Estimating the Burden of Antibiotic Resistance in Europe, Marlieke E. A. de Kraker et al, 8(10).
- ARIC Attributable costs of ventilator-associated lower respiratory tract infection (LRTI) acquired on intensive care units: a retrospectively matched cohort study. R Leistner et al, 2013, 2:13.
Calculationg the costs of HAI
- APIC Cost of Hospital-Associated Infections Model
- Clin Infect Dis Cost and Benefit in Control of Nosocomial Infection: Methods for Analysis, John E. McGowan Jr, . (1981) 3 (4): 790-797.
- Emerging Infect Dis Economics and Preventing Hospital-acquired Infection, Nicholas Graves, Vol. 10, No. 4, April 2004.
Benefits of an Infection Prevention Programme
- Clin Infect Dis Economic Benefits of an Effective Infection Control Program: Case Study and Proposal, Patti J. Miller et al, (1989) 11 (2): 284-288.
- Health Affairs Strict Hand Hygiene And Other Practices Shortened Stays And Cut Costs And Mortality In A Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Bradford D. Harris et al, September 2011 vol. 30 no. 9 1751-1761.
- Evidence for effects of hand hygiene
- CMI Cost-benefit of infection control interventions targeting methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in hospitals: systematic review. L Farbman et al', 2013.
Case Presentations & Articles
- Emerging Infectious Diseases Cost-Effective Infection Control Success Story: A Case Presentation, Fran Slater, Vol. 7, No. 2, 2001.
- J Hosp Infect Impact and cost of infection control measures to reduce nosocomial transmission of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing organisms in a non-outbreak setting, Conterno LO et al, 2007 Apr;65(4):354-60.
- RD Scott The Direct Medical Costs of Healthcare-Associated Infections in US Hospitals and the Benefits of Prevention.
- Infection control today Demonstrate ROI to Make an Effective Business Case for Infection Prevention
- Infection control today Slide Show: Economics of HAI Prevention